Thursday, March 19, 2009

Where now?

I recently pinned up a poster (in a high traffic area of the school) from GALE (thanks to a trial subscription to a number of really exciting databases we're test driving) that reads, "If you're going to fight authority, be well-armed... Ask your librarian for access to Opposing Viewpoints Resource Center." Response to the poster has been great (in that there has been any, at all; it's amazing how much/what the students DON'T see), and I've been meaning for a while now to hunt down more attractive posters to post around the school. I decided to go on a quick hunt.

I entered search terms "ALA free poster" and clicked on this, the third link: Pick up a free READ poster or ALA (American Library Association) t ... Sounded decently promising to my multi-tasking self. I ended up in a virtual store offering virtual goods: http://sllibrarians.ning.com/photo/650964:Photo:14960?context=latest.

Hm. I instantly felt uneasy, misled, annoyed... intrigued? The concept is familiar to me, the cause a good one.... But of what use is virtual wear to me? To my students? To those of us who prefer to live in the real world?!

I'll be thinking more about why this experience caused such a strong, negative reaction. Maybe I'll mull it over a long walk outside... in Second Life. With my fingers. Eyes on screen.

Glch.

No comments:

Post a Comment