Monday, May 11, 2009

Post-Course Discourse

As this semester ends, and with it the blogging assignments, I’m left to wonder whether—or in what form—I’ll continue to express myself online. I’m leaning toward continuing a blog, but a private one… or however private one can keep something added to the online trail/electronic footprint deal. When I feel motivated, I’ll share the blog with others.

Why a blog, rather than a journal?
- A blog is so much tidier, so easily made to look professional
- I’m a quicker typer than hand-writer
- Multi-media capabilities
- Easy sharing, if and (immediately) when I’m so inclined to share

As far as contributing online content professionally, in addition to consistently adding resource links to my library’s home site (Destiny) I’m leaning toward creating a new, official Ning account for the Manhattan Village Academy library media center. I’m also very strongly considering writing my REACH grant report on a Ning. My vision is to:

- Post a slideshow of photos of the library under development
- Post a video and/or podcast featuring students responding to the new library materials
- Describe the purchases made with the grant money in the blog portion of the site

The one weakness I can think of that I don’t know that I mentioned during my group’s final presentation (which, by the way, I really enjoyed, thanks to the contributions of my fellow group members), is that in order to view a Ning profile or network, one must belong to Ning by having created an account. In this context, and others, I wouldn’t want to create my report in a format that is exclusive. By “exclusive,” I suppose I mean that it excludes those not willing/eager to create (yet another?) online account, with all the trappings we’ve discussed an online identity to possess.

Thanks to this course, I feel comfortable with a number of new technologies, and I’m looking forward to experimenting with them further. There’s so much out there! There will be even more tomorrow. That’s awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I've really loved reading your blog posts, especially because you've so eagerly and actively incorporated things we've talked about in class into your library. I hope to keep hearing about how that progresses one way or another!

    Also, in terms of your ideas for using the Ning to document your REACH grant, have you considered just making it a part of your website? I don't know if you've heard about Drupal, but it is a modular content management system which I hear is pretty easy to learn (they have free meet ups and camps and stuff). You can have a blog component and a photos element, etc. Just an idea! There's so much more technology out there for us to find and use and learn with!

    Hope to see you around the nets, and thanks for all your great contributions, in class and online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jess the presenting your REACH info online in any format would be great, and would help you continue the project even after that funding stream is done. Just check with the DOE lib services folks to make sure you aren't posting any info or pictures that can't be online for some reason.

    ReplyDelete