Monday, April 6, 2009

miss, you trippin'

I keep thinking about Nicholas Carr's description of his Web foraging as "tripping from link to link," and the notion of hyperlinks propelling us toward related works. Are we less and less susceptible to inadvertent link propelling (as we are, I think, to advertising), or are our brains increasingly operating as Net-provided information demands that it be?

Here, Jim Kapoun writes (in 1998), "If you are an instructional librarian, you know that the Web, in its ever-changing formats, is seemingly here to stay." I don't remember ever questioning (or doubting) that the Web was here to stay, let alone in recent years. No way, no how, no question.
I am questioning whether my attention span is here to stay, or whether it's a goner. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment