Sunday, February 1, 2009

Beginning

Beginning is always a challenge. Beginning something public is always more of one.

For now, before the meaty, reading-response posts begin, a few thoughts/notes on issues I'd like to explore throughout this course:

- In considering how to structure my blog, I wondered how strongly format influences content. How much of what we share has to do with the formats in which we're able to do so?
- Why is it so intimidating to write publicly?! Control issues... Exposure issues... Mine are less about safety, I think (not necessarily because I feel safe, but more because I feel that people who are relentless searches for information about me will without a doubt be able to find it somehow; I'm somehow resigned to that reality, and am left to hope that people are essentially good.)
- I have always written with a particular audience in mind. Writing a publicly accessible blog challenges that pattern.
- Why do people like to read other "ordinary" people's writing? Why do we like to know the details of others' lives, particularly of acquaintances-->strangers?
- I am curious about the effectiveness of writing consistently (have always been, in fact, and have always been unable/motivated to do so for an extended period of time), particularly as far as its therapeutic/processing qualities.

1 comment:

  1. So many great questions here, I hardly know where to begin. I think you are contemplating some very important issues around identity in public and private spaces and exactly what constitutes a private or public space anymore in the age of Facebook and Twitter. Hopefully in class we can work on these questions, and more.

    ReplyDelete