Monday, February 9, 2009

bloggedybloo

“A Blogger’s Blog: Exploring Definitions of a Medium,” danah boyd http://www.danah.org/papers/ABloggersBlog.pdf

I like this: "A study of blogs must draw from the practice of blogging, not simply analyze the output" (p. 2). Well, sir/ma'am, that's the intention. I am most interested in gleaning from this experiment an understanding of what is to be gained from creating this kind of content. Or, I should say, from creating content in this kind of way. Blogging is, after all, "a diverse set of practices that result in the production of diverse content on top of a medium that we call blogs" (p. 1). Diverse content.

I like that boyd recognizes blogs to be the bi-product of expression and the medium itself (unlike radio, which exists only when people's speech/music is broadcast through radio waves).

I like the notion of a medium being "the channel through which people can communicate or extend their expressions to others" (p. 11). Not opinions or wisdoms or experiences, but expressions.

boyd proposes, as McLuhen (1964) apparently did, that a medium be defined "by what it enables and how it supports people to move beyond the limitations of their body" (p. 12). What might some find to be limitations of blogs, though? Writing style? The commonly oppressive Grammar and Spelling and Punctuation?

Is it true that the boundaries of blogs are socially constructed, not technologically defined, as boyd suggests (p. 12)? There is always a fear that a private blog might be exposed, and the contents held against me in a trial of societal fitness. I am more interested (for once, and maybe just for a moment) in the technological definition of blogs. I have a tremendous appreciation for those who develop tools to support specific values and practices (for the iPhone especially, I'll note here). I love that they are motivated to do so--especially those not motivated by earning potential.

boyd writes, "Blogs blur the line between orality and textuality, altering both the mechanisms for performance [sic] the power dynamics between performer(s) and audience. The medium creates a dynamic that is synchronous and asyncrhonous, performative and voyeuristic" (p. 16). Yes! Yes. What is my aim as a performer? Who is my audience? Should what they want shape what I perform? Should I base my content around the stage set-up of the theatre in which I'm performing? Is this too cheesy a metaphor? Do I become the voyeur when I comb a taping of the performance's audience for their expressed and nonexpressed reactions?

If a blog is like a home, who do I decide to invite into it? How much of myself am I exposing to those who set foot inside?

n-to-? Who ARE you, audience?
Who do I want you to be?

Inspired by other bloggers and a life-long aspiration to write regularly as a practice, I stepped up to the plate just about a year ago today, and created a blog. This was my first entry.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 15, 2008

the beginning of soMething

TumTUM!

Here begins the writing.

I've been a lot of things since 2007 offered its belly to '08...

...including inspired. Maybe even inspired. Something loud and brilliant and confusing and sometimes whispery soft subtle... but undoubtedly present. I've been inspired both to change, and to appreciate being me in this stage of life, as is.

I like knowing that I don't have to make perfect sense in this forum. It's MINE! Maybe even just for me. Being selfish can be an act of responsibility, I think. I do, too. So we're all in agreement. Continue.

I'm looking forward to a lot of things. I'm regretting little. I'm deciding to be a little bolder in the expression department (up the stairs, aisles 9-12), and I'm working on not worrying so much about how what I say or write in a given moment defines me. It's all about the process, man. Oh yeah, and I'm trying to enjoy the writing process, too.

I've no one to lose here, but me. Right? I say so.

Love, beginnings, experiments,
me


-------------------------------------------------------------


This was also my last entry. The blog sits just as it did a year ago. I've visited it a few times since then, and what strikes me is the extent to which, despite the passage of time and the popularization of blogging, my excitement and my concerns--both deliberately expressed--remain.

I published the blog thinking that it'd be a perfect place to consider writing publicly... but to keep it private until I reached that comfort zone. I've checked my profile, outfitted with the cheesiest photo imaginable, which I can only hope--why do I care?--people will recognize as a joke, and I just found it to have had 51 views to date. Apparently my security settings were more lax than I'd intended. I cannot imagine who would have happened upon the blog, or how, or why, but of course it intrigues me. What did they think? What did they think of me? Who is they? And why do I (n) care what ? thinks??

Who do I hope reads my blog? People I know (to know me better? To provide feedback?)? Like-minded strangers, as boyd suggests? I feel as though I have too many people in my life to spend quality time each of them, as it is... could it be that I am inviting the very limited, safe, minimal energy-requiring input of strangers or lower tier acquaintances?


To explore further:
Found digital objects.*

* Okay. Now. I jotted down "found digital objects" because I'm really drawn to the expression, and I'd like to explore it further. Instead of just plopping it down, though, I feel, because of the ? factor in the n-to-? equation, that I have to frame it somehow. It feels like it's my job, whether I've chosen it or not, in this public forum, to make my writing smooth and readable and... beyond for me. That's the best way I can think to say it. Sorry if it's not up to your standards. But THIS IS MY BLOG! :)

1 comment:

  1. I've had another blog for a year and half. It's public, but I find myself spending a lot of time wondering who is reading it and how they find it. I think it has something to do with blogging basically being time spent talking into a void and then, through views or comments, the void actually responds. It's kind of neat, kind of creepy, and (to me) leads to numerous questions. I don't know how anyone could do this, but an experiment to see how people find and return to a blog always seems so interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete