Sunday, February 15, 2009

order of preference

I just noted that when I reviewed this week's assignment I viewed the videos first, read the book with varied pictures second, and read the printed, densely paragraphed article last. Upon reflection, I believe I chose to view the videos, the mixed-media, first because it they would take the least discipline, somehow, to engage in.

I wonder, though, if viewing the videos first then made it more difficult to focus without distraction on the printed materials. I noticed long ago that I personally operate less efficiently in the evening after watching TV (so I generally try to avoid it). I appreciate the distinct 'zones' each portion of the assignments put me in.

1 comment:

  1. s...
    I completed this week's assignment in the opposite order then the one you mention above and had a completely different experience...

    You hit upon the idea of different mediums putting us in different "zones" and I think that the more mediums we traverse, the more we are expected to be fluent within each zone, and move seamlessly between zones...

    Do we have physical limitations on what, when, where and how we can absorb/digest different types and amounts of media? Do we all have saturation points that may change from time to time and over time?

    Does all this have to do with our ability or inability to multitask? I tell my kids that the extent of my multitasking abilities is being able to read while riding the subway and sometimes that's even a challenge.

    ReplyDelete