Tuesday, February 24, 2009

good news! brought to you by...

Extending my reach...

I received this fantastic news: "Congratulations again on your selection by The Fund for Public Schools to receive a Library REACH grant to upgrade your library media center. I would also like to inform you that your school is one of 15 schools selected to receive an additional $1,000 Best Buy Gift Card to further improve your library facility. These gift cards are made possible through the generosity of Best Buy and their partnership with The Fund for Public Schools."

Yayyyyy! Computers aren't an option, and a color printer would be too expensive to maintain (not to mention that it would raise all kinds of complications regarding which students could use it for what), so I'm thinking digital camera and video camera for student/project use, flash drives for student use, maybe a digital photo frame to display student-taken photos on a loop in order to draw students into the library... We'll see! It's a fun dilemma.

Here's the class applicable stuff, though, perfectly timed after our discussion last class:

Next paragraph:
"Best Buy takes its commitment to communities seriously. They know that a strong, healthy community is a great place to live and work, and the strength of the community is dependent on the strength of its schools. Best Buy rewards schools like yours that are finding creative ways to engage students through the hands-on use of technology. For more information on Best Buy's focus on teens, see http://www.bestbuyinc.com/community_relations/our_focus.htm."

So now I know! Best Buy is in a genuine partnership with The Fund for Public Schools, and Best Buy really gets me.

I will say this: With $1,000 in my pocket to spend on electronics that I will get to see my students get creative with, I have nothing but appreciation for whatever entity slipped it in there.

3 comments:

  1. awesome job! you should be proud. hopefully our class discussions and readings will be of help as you decide what to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! Is there a photography class offered to the students? If not, then maybe you can purchase some cameras and do something related to photography. What about purchasing some type of access to an electronic database? And then conducting an online research class for the students? Whatever you decide, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Stephanie! That is very exciting. I love the camera and flash drives ideas. I think that whatever technology you purchase will draw students in, especially if the library is giving them the opportunity to be creative and use current technology. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete